NYS&W’s #1001, a streamlined oil-hydraulic doodlebug built by ACF, stops for a picture in East Stroudsburg on June 23, 1940, on an excursion to Gravel Place. Less than one year later, service to Gravel Place on the old Wilkes-Barre & Eastern (NYS&W subsidiary) ended.
Picture by Robert F. Collins from SUSQUEHANNA by John Krause and Ed Krist, Carstens Publications, 1991.
About sixty years later, the Susquehanna’s tracks in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, or west of Sparta Junction for that matter, are ancient history. The building at left is recognizable as nearly unchanged. Surprisingly, the building is still owned by an anthracite coal dealer, whose coal docks are located behind. While the railroad tipple is inactive, the dealer is quite active in anthracite today!
Photo Copyright ©2001 Anthony R. Tofani.
With the light of a winter morning starting to show itself, FM Trainmaster #854 and a set of FT’s lead an eastbound freight through East Stroudsburg, PA in January of 1956. The tower operated the crossovers and other swithches here via rods and armstrong levers.
Picture by Ken Von Steuben (Mike Bednar Collection) from LACKAWANNA RAILROAD (IN COLOR) by David R. Sweetland, Morning Sun Books, Edison, NJ, 1990.
Today, only one track remains here on the old DL&W. The signal bridge remains in the distance, as does the tower and the depot, behind the photographer. Many of the other nearby buildings also remain along the Route of Phoebe Snow. The original grade crossing gates also survive, but are inactive as they too were Armstrong-operated from the tower! The Station is now a restaurant.